Thursday, April 7, 2011

goings on....

This week has been crazy. How is it Friday? Is it Friday?

I have a six year old. What?

In case you missed it....I am photographing a cookbook!! It's true! Whitney has recently given birth to a new blog where she will keep you updated here and there about progress, behind the scenes hot juicy gossip, and maybe a photo of me breaking her table.
We are hard at work (mostly her, and I show up from time to time) preparing and shooting gobs of delicious photos for your eyes to devour.
It's fun.

from said cookbook shoot.
artichokes

I've hardly cooked a thing this week--we've been scavengers around here. A tortilla filled with a little of this and that, and a peanut butter sandwich made in a hurry....that's about it.

I did make this soup (it's freezing again!). This is another one of my dump-what-you-have-in-the-fridge "recipes" but feel free to make it if you dare.
chickentortillasoup copy

Chicken Tortilla Soup

-onion
-roasted peppers
-garlic
-diced tomatoes
-black beans
-strips of corn tortilla (note: if you add these at the beginning of cooking, they will cook into your soup and give it more of a chili consistancy. If you want them to remain in tact, add them 15 minutes or so before you are ready to serve.)
-a chicken breast or two
-chicken broth
-chipotle flakes
-cumin
-s&p

top with cilantro, avocado, and sour cream.

***

I have found a new love for watching movies with my kids, and I highly recommend it. Don't have kids? Borrow some. It is so fun to see what they find funny--and you'll start to see the world differently too. We've recently watched Tangled, Despicable Me, and Megamind.
See, this rain/hail/snow is good for something.

I'm feasting on the words of Markus Zusak--reading The Book Thief. All books should be written like this--it is a delight to read, and I don't use the word delight very often....I take that word very seriously.....

I signed up for this crazy trail race (only the 1/2, thankfully), and am slightly panicked that I might die. (possible causes of death may include, but are not limited to: exhaustion, starvation, dehydration, falling off a cliff, getting eaten by a bear, freezing to death, overheating, loss of limbs, etc.
Anyone care to join me?

The weekend will be filled with birthday party cupcakes and crazy little boys wielding light sabers.
And then I will take a giant nap.
Because I am exciting like that.


happy weekend!





17 comments:

whitneyingram said...

Dear Sheena,

I just love you.

Love, Whitney

Laura @ Laura Likes Design said...

That soup looks amazing! I love how colorful it is!

becca said...

hey mrs. red house.....

jeez....

I've got such a girl crush on you.

photographing a cookbook!
running a crazy trail race!
cooking incredible food!

oh my goodness.

Anonymous said...

i wanna run that 1/2 too!! it's too bad it's so far away from me (in ny) :(

Amelia PS said...

Sheena:
The artichokes look so renaissance/still-life... lovely tones, perfectly arranged and cooked.

I adore coming here because I relate. I have a very similar lifestyle. 2 children (6 & 8) with which i love curling up to watch movies (despicable me is one of our faves), a book club (we read the book thief about a year ago and I just divoured it), a food blog (wish I had more time for it...), a busy social life, a photography hobby, and a full time job too!

Your blog is so "human", it gives me peace and happiness. Keep writing. It's great that you do so often!!!

Oh, btw, who is publishing your book?
Happy Friday!
Amelia

Jane said...

i love your food photography!!!
and i really love Book Thief. So brillz.

Courtney said...

When I read book thief, it took me a really really long time to get into it. Like half of the book. Are you having that problem at all? It sounds like maybe not. But remember how I actually liked Mockingjay, so it could just be me.
Anyways, I loved book thief after the halfway mark, it just took a while.
Wow, you have a 6 year old, how is time going by that fast? I remember babysitting that little guy when he was Suzy's age! Better yet, I remember camping with you when we were 14!!! AHHHHHH
Have a great weekend. I am excited to hear all about your trail race, it sounds awesome. I'm doing my next half next weekend. I do not recommend doing back to back races b/c since I just did one last weekend, I feel like I am TIRED OF TRAINING!!! But at least I am in somewhat of running shape and that was the idea behind back to back races. Holy cow, I just wrote you a novel! Can you tell that I miss you!? BYE!

Cason and Marie said...

You have such a beautiflu blog. Love your photography!! And your recipes.

Brandi LeAnn said...

Hi. I stumbled upon your blog on one of my daily blog excursions and I am so glad I did for the reasons listed below;

1. You make me laugh.
2. You sound like a great Mom.
3. Your recipes make me want to eat my computer screen.
4. You're motivating me to run.
5. You make me laugh. Out loud. ;)

Thanks for being cool. Have a great weekend!

Rachael said...

TGIF?...
I saw Tangled the other day and I loved it! I did watch it with a kid, so it was a good excuse!

Nellie and Jason said...

Book Thief = superb-ness

That is all. :)

tanalicious said...

oh my. the book thief is my FAVORITE of ALL TIME. i want to buy it in hardback so it will never fall apart and then i can highlight all my favorite phrases. be prepared to bawl like a five year old though.

i cant wait to see the cookbook. you've got mad skills.

Ang said...

bahahaha - this might just be my favorite post. ever. from amazing looking soup to borrowing kids to despicable me (probably my favorite movie) to your possible causes of death - i actually laughed out loud...at work (oops!)

Unknown said...

good luck on the trail run. i did one last year and lets just say i had no idea that it was a trail run-it was pure heck! train right for it, seriously hardest thing ever-my poor husband heard me complain and cry. but its such a good feeling once your done!

and cuddling with my little one and hubby are my two favorite things. those movies are so fun!!

marta said...

oh my goodness. if i looked that good in skinny jeans while taking crazy shots of foodie food, i would never take them off. you are a darling. have an amazing weekend. xo.

Lula. said...

I love that you are reading The Book Thief. Maybe we should have a little discussion about it, like our own mini book club... our next play date.

Can't wait to hear about the birthday party and those artichoke photos are stunning.

jenniferhoiyin said...

I would so love to trail race with you, except I'm pretty positive I would die.